Assistant Project Manager Job Description
Purpose and Description
Job Description – Assistant Project Manager, Construction Division
The Assistant Project Manager supports the Project Manager which is the most critical role within the Construction Division of Gibson Landscape. The Assistant Project Manager aids in the successful completion of landscape, hardscape and concrete construction projects containing a high level of detail and quality execution to such a level that repeat business is earned and relationships grow. Processing and administering cost controls; managing materials through the purchase ordering system; managing labor costs and hours through updated schedule management; resource planning; other costs and subcontractors through forecasting; and change management estimating once the project is turned over to production. Maintaining communications with employees, management, customers and project architects and owners (stakeholders) while managing expectations to high quality standard is mandatory. This exceptional individual or “A player” takes ownership of the results while asserting continual discipline for the financial trajectory of each project managed through warranty.
The principle responsibilities of this position are the following:
- Assist leadership by organizing the project effort in accordance with contract goals and budget for the project while maintaining the Gibson standard of excellence.
- Complete all projects meeting or exceeding predetermined budgets for direct and indirect labor, live and hardline materials, subcontractor’s costs, supplies, and tools.
- Communicate with field management about the expectations of the client and management team to ensure proper execution of the project contracts.
- Aid the PM with communication with customers/clients on all jobs regarding contract schedules and dates of execution.
- Regularly schedule visits to jobs sites and meetings with management team and field staff to determine their needs, interests, and optimal solutions.
- Assist in the sourcing and submittals of all required material as per contractor specifications.
- Evaluate product availability and cost. Manage cost change through the company’s PO management system. Source products and alternative material through various vendors to obtain best possible cost structure.
Key Performance Metrics
- Ability to analyze situations, considers options, and makes decisions that are timely and informed.
- The highest degree of cooperation, communication and coordination is maintained so that a professional attitude and positive image is projected.
- The ability to recognize and deal with priorities is exhibited.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts with customers and vendors in a timely and professional manner at all times.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Be proficient in the company’s software systems and other programs such as Bluebeam, B2W, On-Screen Takeoff, Office products, Microsoft Project, Sage Timberline Estimating/PJ/PO, Procore, PlanGrid.
- Communicate effectively to ensure delivery of exceptional results as committed to the client.
- Make visits to job sites in order to ensure that all work performed is to contract specifications and to Gibson Landscape standards. Verify accuracy of labor, material, and equipment used on every project.
- Maintain constant communication with customer base to ensure satisfaction.
- Monitor progress of all jobs in progress and communicate any conditions, which may cause the project deadlines to be missed for any reason.
- Energetic self-starter and demonstrates initiative
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to lead and inspire others
- Results and action oriented
- Sales and growth oriented
- Effective problem-solving skills, ability to handle adversity
- Customer centered and focused
- Service and teamwork oriented
- Focus on continued learning and self-development