Purpose and Description
Job Description – Estimator, Construction Division
The Estimators purpose within the Construction Division of Gibson Landscape is to pursue and win commercial construction work through direct cost estimation of first class landscape, hardscape & concrete construction projects. The Estimator is instrumental to winning opportunities by selling the client on their knowledge, technical prowess and exceptional communication skills. Landscape Construction is a mature and competitive industry driven by value and price making the Estimator the tip of the spear for sales. A high level of execution is expected where repeat business is earned and relationships grow for A players at Gibson. Overseeing, performing and forecasting estimating volume; takeoffs; deadlines; maintaining material costs, labor costs and hours; task sequencing, duration and schedule creation; subcontractor qualification and bid management; pre-construction buyout; project turnovers. Maintaining communications with employees, management, customers and project architects and owners (stakeholders) while managing expectations to a high standard is mandatory. This exceptional individual or “A player” takes ownership of the growth trajectory of the Construction Division.
- Read and understand blueprints and specifications to accurately prepare estimates in accordance with requests for quotation reviewing all plans and specs submitted for contract bids.
- Primary contact with suppliers, sub-contractors, estimators, designers, engineers and architects to obtain the necessary information to prepare a comprehensive and accurate bid response.
- Prepares estimates in accordance with the guidelines provided by the contractor.
- Review designs for alternative materials to improve quality or reduce cost of the final design.
- Knowledge of landscape terminology, plant materials and applicable construction materials.
- Ability to calculate and compile take off data for use in bid proposal estimates
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform and complete duties wherever volume deems it necessary.
- Confidentiality of Company, customer, supplier and employee information is maintained.
Key Performance Metrics
- Win work through various pricing strategies.
- Accurate development of labor cost takeoffs necessary for performing the installation of materials, equipment uses and other labor functions as per the plans and specifications as supplied by the company.
- Forecast, track and follow up of estimated opportunities while exceeding goals and sales budgets.
- Determines what phases or parts of the project will be subcontracted to others, securing multiple quotes and verifying the reasonable competitiveness of such quotes.
- Accurately consolidates all data from the take off sheets to the job estimate summary
- Attends all pre-construction conferences required to obtain work.
- Create proposals, clarifications and scope letters with attention to detail regarding inclusions, assumptions and exclusions.
- Conduct turnover meetings with the entire project team once a project is awarded.
- Research potential new projects and making recommendations for which projects might be appropriate for bid response.
- Track results of estimates for both approved and rejected bids.
- Manage personal effectiveness (competency, trust, communication, etc.) to maximize internal and external relationships.
- Provide and maintain excellent customer service internally and externally.
- A “team” approach and attitude with other functions within the organization is exhibited always.
- All duties are performed in an independent manner with minimal direction.
- Must have the ability to prioritize work according to the requirements as set forth by multiple stakeholders.
- Energetic self-starter and demonstrates initiative
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to lead and inspire others
- Results and action oriented
- Sales and growth oriented
- Effective problem-solving skills, ability to handle adversity
- Customer centered and focused
- Service and teamwork oriented
- Focus on continued learning and self-development
Minimum Qualifications & Educational Requirements
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in any field preferred – 3-5 years Field experience, Estimating and/or Purchasing Manager with a construction company may be a substitution for Education.
- Must have strong people skills, organizational and planning capabilities.
- Strong analytical and observation skills, which demonstrate the ability to set a course or direction.
- Strong Geometry understanding required.
- Proficient with computer software programs including On-Screen Takeoff, Bluebeam, B2W, Sage Timberline, Word, Excel, Outlook.