Purpose and Description
Job Description – Estimator, Construction Division
The Estimators purpose within the Construction Division of Gibson Landscape is to pursue and win commercial construction work through direct cost estimation of first class landscape, hardscape & concrete construction projects. The Estimator is instrumental to winning opportunities by selling the client on their knowledge, technical prowess and exceptional communication skills. Landscape Construction is a mature and competitive industry driven by value and price making the Estimator the tip of the spear for sales. A high level of execution is expected where repeat business is earned and relationships grow for A players at Gibson. Overseeing, performing and forecasting estimating volume; takeoffs; deadlines; maintaining material costs, labor costs and hours; task sequencing, duration and schedule creation; subcontractor qualification and bid management; pre-construction buyout; project turnovers. Maintaining communications with employees, management, customers and project architects and owners (stakeholders) while managing expectations to a high standard is mandatory. This exceptional individual or “A player” takes ownership of the growth trajectory of the Construction Division.
- Read and understand blueprints and specifications to accurately prepare estimates in accordance with requests for quotation reviewing all plans and specs submitted for contract bids.
- Primary contact with suppliers, sub-contractors, estimators, designers, engineers and architects to obtain the necessary information to prepare a comprehensive and accurate bid response.
- Prepares estimates in accordance with the guidelines provided by the contractor.
- Review designs for alternative materials to improve quality or reduce cost of the final design.
- Knowledge of landscape terminology, plant materials and applicable construction materials.
- Ability to calculate and compile take off data for use in bid proposal estimates
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility to perform and complete duties wherever volume deems it necessary.
- Confidentiality of Company, customer, supplier and employee information is maintained.
Minimum Qualifications & Educational Requirements
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in any field preferred – 3-5 years Field experience, Estimating and/or Purchasing Manager with a construction company may be a substitution for Education.
- Must have strong people skills, organizational and planning capabilities.
- Strong analytical and observation skills, which demonstrate the ability to set a course or direction.
- Strong Geometry understanding required.
- Proficient with computer software programs including On-Screen Takeoff, Bluebeam, B2W, Sage Timberline, Word, Excel, Outlook.